“I’m sharing my #TalesOf2015 with BlogAdda.”
As I contemplate about 2015, I feel that it was a thrilling roller coaster ride that I managed to survive. The year was full of highs and lows in equal proportions. And it flew by so quickly, not giving me enough time to contemplate and introspect. It was truly a roller coaster ride.
In the professional front, the year was quite good. I was busy the entire year juggling with various projects. However, in the mental or emotional front, the year was like a tempest in which I was trapped. Everyday was like a battle that I had to fight with myself. I almost fell into the abyss of depression and was under antidepressants for a month.
Despite all the turbulence, I kept on working as I believed that without my work, I will lose everything. So I did not let my personal life interfere with my professional life. And today, I feel like embracing myself for being my own best friend and savior in 2015.
On this roller coaster ride, there are 5 important things or lessons that I learned:
1. "A true friend never abuses or blames you. A true friend understands, forgives and gives you the right advice, if you move towards the wrong direction ."
2015 made me realize who my true friends are. You won't believe, but due to the emotional ordeal, I was going, I fought and quarreled with almost all my close friends. There have been some really ugly fights this year, when I thought I have lost so many of my dear ones. But as I said a true friend understands and forgives. 2015 has been a great eye-opener for me.
2. "Hard work has no substitute. If you continue doing the hard work, you will surely be rewarded."
I give full credit to my moments of happiness of 2015 to the hard work that I did, despite the conflicts and turbulence in my life. My poetries and short stories got selected to be published in a total of 7 anthologies in 2015, 4 of which are scheduled to release in early 2016. I also completed penning down my 3rd novel. I won 6 blogging contests. Overall, it was a rewarding year.
3. "Take risks, once in a while. Without a little adventure, life would lose its meaning. You need to listen to your heart beats closely to admire life. And that is not possible unless you dive into an adventure."
When I went to Kalimpong in the summer vacation of 2015, I was not sure I would go for Paragliding. Just before the takeoff, when I was looking skeptical about my decision, the pilot told me that only when I take risks, I can discover the beauty in life and living. And he was so right. The ten minutes when I was flying in the sky amid the hills and trees, I fell in love with life all over again.
4. "It's not possible to undo a tragedy like death. Acceptance is the key, but you can keep the person alive in your heart for as long as you are alive."
I lost my cousin sister in 2015. She was two years younger to me and we both shared the same sun sign, Gemini. We had a lot of similarities and there was a deep bond between us, though we never met on a regular basis. When I learned that she succumbed to depression and had a tragic death, I could not come to terms with it. It shattered something within me. However, as months passed by, I accepted the reality and made peace with the fact that I will keep her alive in my heart always.
5. "There are some people who bring out the best in us and make us better human beings. There are some people who bring out the worst in us and we become a person we can't identify properly in the mirror. It is always wise to surround ourselves with people who make us a positive and a better human being."
Energies of two human beings don't match always and it is not really anyone's fault. Our energy diminishes in front of some people and enhances in front of some people. I feel that our duty as human beings is to evolve and become better with every passing year. So, 2015 taught me to surround myself with those people who can bring out the best in me and help me evolve.
With the lessons learned in 2015, I am sure I have become a wiser and a stronger person. In 2016, I wish to do the things that will make my soul feel good. These few lines from a poem I had written long back will be my motto for 2016:
Let love be the lyrics
Let kindness be the music
Let your heart sing forever!